Friday, July 6, 2012

Food Friday--What I Love About Summer

Let's face it, there are certain foods you can eat during the summer that just taste better because it IS summer. Maybe it's childhood memories, maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the increase in fresh fruit and vegetables. Who knows--seriously, who knows? I don't.

What I do know is the following foods are things that just make me three thousand times happier when I'm eating them and it's summer.

Ice Cream--I'm one of those people who will eat ice cream year round. But to be honest, there's nothing more amazing than standing in front of a freezer eating ice cream straight out of the container with the air conditioner running at the perfect temperature.

Popsicles--The only time I really love popsicles is from about April to October. That's when it's hot in Florida. If I'm trying to get to sleep and I just can't cool down, two sugar free popsicles and I'm pleasantly chilled. I can slip between the covers and conk out.

Corn on the Cob--I love corn year round. But I've found that in order to truly appreciate corn on the cob it needs to be summer. And the corn is much better when grilled. Just sayin'.

Fried Chicken--I like to experiment with different marinades and breadings with fried chicken and supper is the ideal time to do that. I've done buttermilk cajun, spicy sweet tea, honeyed BBQ...I pretty much just let my mind go nuts. It's pretty fun and usually tasty.

Those are the big four, at least for me. What about you guys?

1 comment:

  1. My favs are corn on the cob. Frozen just doesn't cut it. Fresh tomatoes. Have a completely different taste and texture when fresh. Squash is my favorite summer food. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete