Monday, June 11, 2012

Media Monday: So. Much. Stuff!

Holy crap! I don't blog for two weeks and the entire media wolrd expodes in a frenzy! Okay, massive exaggeration, but you get the point.

First things first, who was excited about the season premeire of True Blood last night? Oh yeah, baby--that's how you kickstart a season! Seriously, I can't remember the last time I watched an hour of television from start to finish without once looking at a clock. There have been some who have said that the show is suffering from an overabundunce of story lines--I disagree. The series may center around Sookie, but what the writers have remembers is that no person lives in a vacuum. We all have connections which have connections which have further connections--like some crazy kind of spiderweb. Besides, if the writers didn't bring in outside characters we wouldn't have gotten this amazing quote from Pan:

I am wearing a Wal-Mart sweatshirt for ya'll--if that's not demonstration of team spirit than I don't know what is.

Next, there have been the release of movies such as Snow White and the Huntsman and Prometheus. I haven't seen the latter, but I have seen the former and was pleasantly surprised. It was wonderfully atmospheric and I feel like it did a great job of showing the dark side of a fairy tale. Being a sappy sap, I would have been happy for Snow White to find out that it was the Huntsmen who woke her from the sleep of death and for them to get their happily ever after, but I also realize it would have been kind of a cop-out. Still, there's always a hope they'll do a sequel and they'll get their happily ever after then. Who knows. Prometheus is on my list of movies to watch, which is interesting since the first time I saw the trailer I shook my head and went, "Uh, no." funny how seeing the trailer like a dozen times can change your mind.

Mira Grant's Blackout was the amazing thrill ride I hoped it would be. I laughed, I cried, I went, "Holy shit!"--basically, I experienced almost the entire range of human emotions. Not love or lust, because that would have been a little creepy, but those may be the only two. And what I found--and I may be in the minority--is that under the ick and horror and conspiracy and medical and political details, this is a story about two people living their lives the best way they can and always, always, striving to get back to each other. It's kind of heart breaking and beautiful all at the same time. Or maybe I'm just a sap. It could be both.

Tomorrow--an excerpt from Shades of Blood and Wednesday, we're back to recaps! I don't know how much longer I can do them, since they make my heart hurt, but I'll carry on for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment