Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Buildup--Title Craziness

I'm sure some of you have wondered where the titles of my various books come from. I'm hoping so, anyway, otherwise this post is going to be full on uselessness. Since I'm writing Jude right now, I'll stick with a brief discussion of her books.

From the get-go, I knew the first title was Shades of Gray. None of that had to do with any sort of physical characteristic. It was all about the moral gray area the characters inhabit. There's a lot of shysty behavior on various fronts in SoG. There's lying, killing, more lying, etc., all in the name of protecting innocent people from evil. Jude asks the question more than once about where the line is. In the end, it's a line she has to figure out for herself, one that we all do, because not everyone can live with the same smudges on their ledger.

The second book, Shades of Desire, was a little trickier. I wanted to continue the play on words, but wasn't sure how. In the end, one of the themes prevelent in the book was the theme of want. Not necessarily sexual want, but just want in general. Sure, there are some romantic situations in the book, but for the most part SoD is about the wants and needs of individuals and what they're willing to do to achieve them.

The current book, Shades of Blood, holds true to the play on words theme. Yes, there's a lot more violent behavior in this book, even if it occurs off-page, but the word "blood" isn't about just the nasty red stuff. Blood is also family, and one of the predominant things in the Jude Magdalyn series is the intertwining tendrils of family. Love them or hate them, you have to deal with them. SoB (and I LOVE that acronym) resolves some issues even while setting the ground for future conflict.

So there you have it. Title craziness but not really.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be recapping LKH's Guilty Pleasures. I haven't read the book in a while, so this should prove interesting. Or wall banging. I'm not sure which.

No comments:

Post a Comment