Monday, March 5, 2012

Media Monday--New York, New York

So here's a question for everybody--why is it that New York is always one of the cities, if not the only one, that gets destroyed during a disaster? Seriously. Off the top of my head, I can list more than a few movies that revolve around the destruction of New York.

Independence Day. The Day After Tomorrow. Godzilla. Ghostbusters (1 and 2). Sex and the City. (okay, the last one is a bit much, but still, you get what I mean)

And those are just the ones that are New York specific. I'm not even talking about the ones where everything gets destroyed. 2012. Dawn of the Dead. Knowing. And let's not even get started about my thoughts on Knowing--absolutely the worst movie I've every seen, and I've seen horror movies that made me laugh.

The point is, New York always gets the short end of the stick. Why? Is Hollywood just annoyed with the entire damn island and feels the need to take it out via cinema? Is it just an East Coast/West Coast thing? I mean, is THERE a reason?

Here's my theory--New York is a symbol of America. Let's face it, even if you hate the city--and there are a few people who do--it's something we all recognize and sort of take it to heart as our own. One of the quickest ways to get the movie viewer on the side of the "good guy" is to destroy something they hold dear.

Sorry, New York. Don't take it personal.

Tomorrow--a few pics of something not New York related: the sort of stuff I look at when I'm feeling uninspired writing Harvest Moon Rising, and usually get a little inspired. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment