Monday, March 12, 2012

Media Monday--Anything Goes!

So, today I'm going to talk a little bit about something absolutely brilliant I recently saw, not once but twice--Anything Goes.

I'm somebody who loves musicals. Aboslutely, positively loves them. I saw The Sound of Music when I was roughly ten or twelve years old and ever since then I've had a deep and abiding love for all things musical. Phantom of the Opera and Rent have both spent a goodly amount of time in my DVD player. So naturally when I went to New York, I was like, "Got to see a Broadway show."

I debated between seeing something dark and twisty and something happy and cheery. In the end, I went for happy and cheery, because, well, I just didn't want to walk around Times square with red eyes from crying. It turned out to be an excellent choice, since I was entranced from the get-go by Anything Goes.

It's a revival piece, actually the second or third if I'm not mistaken, set in the 1930s mostly aboard a cruise ship bound for England. There's lots of farcical comedy, great dance numbers, beautiful singing--the entire works. And what's better, it's a show that's good every time you watch it.

I was lucky to get seats in the orchestra both nights--the second night, I was actually a few rows and seats closer to center stage, so I had a better view of, well, everything. I'm going to sum up Sutton Foster in one word--A-FUCKING-MAZING. Okay, so that word is made up a little, but it still accurately describes how phenominal this woman is at everything. I was lucky to see her perform, since she's acutally leaving this week to start work on the pilot for a tv show.

Joel Grey, also ridiculously amazing. I know, I'm overusing the hell out of the word and that I should really know a few words with more descriptive qualities, but why stray from the things that work. If this is what vaudeville was like, I'm surprised it ever went out of style.

Basically, what I'm saying is: if you can go see the show, do it. You won't regret it, by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment