Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Tuesday Buildup--How the Moon Rose

Yeah, that's a totally corny title, so of course I had to use it. Whatevs, people, whatevs.

I've pretty sure I've mentioned in passing how New Moon Rising came to be--basically, I was blocked in the middle of writing Shades of Desire, and started writing randomly to do what I could to break through the wall. What came out of that was the first chapter of NMR. Obviously, at that time there wasn't a whole lot going on except for getting some thoughts down on paper. Later, I had to actually think about where I was going with this idea.

The first thing I dealt with was where exactly everything was going to take place. As much as I love New Orleans, I didn't want to make the mistake a lot of authors have and limit myself to just one locale. And for some reason, I've always felt like werewolves would just naturally move toward a rural environment. I mean, come on--once a month, these are individuals that become animalistic, individuals who give in to a more primal nature. That just doesn't seem like it would be conducive to city/urban living.

So, I had to think of where to put an entire town of werewolves. Being only an hour from the Florida/Georgia stateline, Georgia seemed a natural pick. It's full of rural, low population counties, with plenty of room to roam. And, there's the added bonus of being able to drive less than an hour and do some recon work.

Next, there was the issue of Cari herself. I had a rough idea of her from the first chapter, but I needed more details. She's not like Jude--Jude, as much as I love her, has kind of brought most of her problems on herself, at least the ones not involving crazy psychotic killers. Don't get me wrong, that's who she is, but it's the truth. Cari's problems are... much more real to life. She believes her husband cheated on her, she has people in her hometown who despise her, people who love her--she suffers the sort of medical nightmare that every woman fears. Cari is much, much more normal than Jude, which also makes her more relatable.

Now, the plot. Some people may say the plot is the dreaded Mary Sue/spepshual snowflake plot. I politely invite them to kiss my ass. Yes, Cari is "special", only in the sense that she's an unattached healer. She's not the only healer, she's not even the best healer. The antagonists want her for that reason alone--she's unattached. Doesn't make her special--Cari might even say that makes her unlucky. She loses her parents, she gets thrust into a world she has no clue about, her entire life gets turned upside down. Yeah, I'd say she's unlucky.

So in the end, New Moon Rising became the story of a woman living her life, trying to deal with the past--only to have everything in that past, whether of her own doing or not, come back to haunt her. What she does with it and how she handles the changes are what makes the story hers.

Ok, guys--tomorrow I'll be talking about...I'm not sure by any means, but I'll figure it out. Catch you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment