Monday, February 20, 2012

Media Monday--The REAL Review

So, I'm sitting here waiting for Two Broke Girls to start, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to get all of the previous season's for How I Met Your Mother. Because I've only been watching since this season started, and I'm already so invested in the characters, it's sick. You're not supposed to cry watching a sitcom, damnit, and HImyM has done it to me at least twice.

And.....we're starting.

Love the healthcare jokes--because they're so apropos. Although I'd suggest BlueCross's GoBlu, since it's cheap and relatively decent. Opening quote--"I already caught poverty, I don'tneed to catch the flu."

Ah, Jennifer Coolidge. I'm not sure if I'm in love with her characer, but she definitely fits into the neighborhood. And the idea of blind dates meeting in the restaurant is so real life. Not sure if I'm liking the way the oh so obvious gay date is going to go down, but I'm sure liking all the gay joke setups.

I will say I love the cook's obvious infatuation with Sophie--it's also the setup for a lot of good jokes. And look at Han--he's providing more healthcare than most of my bosses ever have. Love Max's constant "booyahs!" in the face of germs. I always say after working in the restaurant business for so long, the only thing that's really going to take me out of the game is cancer or a Mac Truck.

Beautiful depiction of an Orthdox Jewish neighborhood. For once, the "cliche" wasn't ridiculous and overblown, and rightly so given the religious undertones. Max and Caroline did get some good joke in, but nothing too racy or raunchy. Caroline always looks so surprised to be put in her place by real world people--I'm kind of hoping she doesn't grow out of it, because it provides a lot of ocmic relief. And it's nice to see Max taking th lead for once in the cupcake business.

And that was a beautiful ringing endorsement for masturbation--"Nobody does me better than me."

And wow--gangster Jews who throw down like they're hardcore pimps. This has to be one of the few times I've seen Max truly speechless. And poor Caroline, to be totally ignored no matter how hard she tries to fit in. All she wants is to be part of a family like she used to be, and Max, who couldn't care less, is the one being fawned over. I can't decide if I'm horrified or amused by the Holocaust joke references.

Ok, will say I love the Jewish breakdancing and the general annoyance of the kids. And "Ju-Tang Clan" was  pretty funny. And it was nice to see Max taking the high road, both by being honest and by keeping Caroline in check.

"We're not family until we have to testify against each other in a manslaughter trial."

Beautiful and poetic. And I'm out, folks! Catch you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment