Friday, February 24, 2012

Food Friday!--UhOh...

So. Lent has started. I finally figured out what I was going to give up, although I was down to the wire. And while some people think it's silly, I decided to give up ice cream. Yes, it's winter, but in case you've missed the news, it's unseasonably warm here in Florida--and quite frankly, I really, really like ice cream. Breyer's is my first choice, but I'll play with some Ben & Jerry's or Dove.

So, no ice cream until Easter. This will drive me a little crazy, but won't be the death of me. What will?

No meat on Friday.

I know, I completely forgot! I had actually ordered my breakfast, and was getting ready to enjoy a nice carb-free meal of country sausage and eggs when I had a table of regulars come in. I was in the middle of pouring their coffee, wondering what they'd have to do--as they're staunch Catholics--and it hit me. It's Friday.

Damn. No meat.

I'm not really Catholic. Meaning, if I feel the urge to go to church, I'll go to Mass, but I'm not an official member of the Catholic Church. Still, I do my best to observe the rites of Lent as much as possible. Which means--say it with me now--no meat on Friday.

This is a severe problem--because I'm supposed to be on a high protein, low carb diet. And if I can't eat meat, this is going to be a little difficult, to say the least.

Now, you may be wondering why I used the words "supposed to be". It's actually under doctor's orders. I was diagnosed with PCOS--polycystic ovarian syndrome. To make a long story short, my body is confused. My insulin levels are constantly screwy, even though I don't have diabetes or any of it's subsets. Since they're so screwy, my body pretty much just shunts the sugars of simple carbs into excess fat. The result--no periods (which is kind of great), excess weight gain, and infertility. I have a mild case, meaning the smallest dosage of progesterone tends to straighten things out, but it's still something that has to be dealt with. The simplest, non-medical intervention way? Stay away from simple carbs and focus on complex carbs and proteins.

Meaning--meat.

Now are we seeing the problem?

So, Fridays are going to be interesting. I have to keep my carb usage to a minimum--meaning less than 50% of what the normal daily recomended allowance would be--and not starve to death. This may present some problems.

But--it's Lent. The season of sacrifice. I guess the only way to look at it is to say I'm making a super big sacrifice this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment