Friday, February 10, 2012

Food Friday--Making Sacrifices

So. Lent is coming up. Not right away, but it's pretty darn close--February 22 to be exact. I'm not Catholic by any means (I was actually raised Pentecostal, but that's a story for a different time), but there's something about the practice of sacrificing that makes the enjoyment so much sweeter.

The first time I observed Lent, I gave up chocolate. Simple in theory. I forgot one important thing--Reese's Peanut Butter Cups have chocolate. All I craved for seven weeks was a damn Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. When Easter rolled around, I had one. Just one. And it was amazing.

The second year I gave up beef. So of course all I wanted was a burger. Third year it was pork. Do you know how hard it is to work in a breakfast place, surrounded by bacon, and not have any? Let me tell you, Easter morning I had bacon and eggs and then I had a ham for Easter dinner. I may have gone overboard there, but I really missed my pork.

Last year, I gave up all sweets. All of them. Cake, cookies, candy, pie, etc, which normally would not be a huge deal. I'm not really supposed to have them anyway, so I figured this would help get me in the habit. So, of course, this would be when my most favorite pie of all is brought back into circulation at work. I almost thought I wouldn't make it, but I did, and let me tell you that piece of pie was like manna from heaven.

This year, thanks to my vacation, I'm having a bit of a problem deciding what to give up. Since I'll be in New York with all those authentic food options, I don't want to give anything like pasta or potatoes up. Same deal with sweets. I thought about doing beef again, since it's been a few years, but again, it's New York--I'll probably want a burger at some point.

Someone suggested giving up alcohol. I told them to shut their dirty mouth. There are limits, especially when a vacation is involved.

So I'm back at square one. I've got a little less than two weeks to get this figured out. Tell me--what are YOU giving up for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment