Friday, January 6, 2012

Food Friday--Old Fashioned Goodness

Friday! The blog tour for Taken continues--today, I'm over at The Bookish Snob with another excerpt. Head on over, take a look. But before you do...

In the great, wide world of what you might call "desserts", I tend to gravitate toward chocolate. Yes, I'm a total walking cliche. Whatever. But every now and then, I just get a taste for something else. Sometimes I don't even know what I want, I just want something different. The other day, I happened to be wandering around the grocery store and I saw something that I'm sure is there all the time, it just happened to be the first time I paid any attention to the box.

Lemon Bars.

Lemon Bars take me back to childhood and church events and cooking in the kitchen with my grandmother. My grandmother was a firm believer in learning how to cook at an early age. One of the earliest memories I have is learning to cook grilled cheese sandwiches. Actually, I went through an insanely long period as an adult where I couldn't stand grilled cheese because I spent so much eating grilled cheese as a child. But I digress. As usual.

My church, like most churches in the South (possibly everywhere, I'm not sure--somthing to investigate at a later date), had a habit of doing dinner on the grounds at various times throughout the year. Every family contributed with various dishes, the more the better, for obvous reasons. When I hit around...I'd say twelve, although I could be wrong, my grandmother told me I needed to make something of my own for church dinner. When I told her I had no clue what to make, she steered me in the direction of Lemon Bars.

My grandmother could be tricky like that. And the best part was she didn't even realize it most of the time.

She helped me the first time, of course. And it was fun, baking for the first time. The smells, the tastes, the inevitable mistakes--I'm pretty sure I made a total wreck of the kitchen not only the first time I cooked, but probably the next two to three times.

And let me tell you, when we went to church, and dinner was served, there was a great feling of pride and joy and just total WOW when my Lemon Bars were not only eaten, but devoured. It's a great feeling knowing people are njoying your food.

So, I'm making Lemon Bars today. I'll think of my grandmother and get a little teary-eyed and when I have one--okay, two--after dinner tonight, I'll be reminded of cooking in the kitchen with her and Sundays outside and the discovery of baking.

Lemon Bars rock. Clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment