Friday, December 30, 2011

Food Friday!--New Year Traditions

In honor of the upcoming holiday, I thought I'd take a moment to share with you some of the traditions, food and non-food related, that are common in my family and my region.

For starters, there's black eyed peas. I'm going to be honest, I can't really remember why you're supposed to eat black eyed peas, I just know you're supposed to. I mean, I know it involves good luck for the new year and something else, but I can't remember the traditional reasoning behind it.

Unlike cabbage and corned beef hash. My family is partially Irish (from way back in the day), and now and then it'll show through. In theory, eating the corned beef and cabbage will put coins (the corned beef) and money (the cabbage) in your pocket. I always maintain I just want the cash, so I only eat the cabbage. My mom likes to say it doesn't work that way, but it seems to have done me good so far.

You're also not supposed to wash on New Years. If you do, supposedly someone in your family will die. Super morbid, right? I totally agree. One year, when we were younger, my sister and I attempted to wash a single article on New Years. Not because we wanted someone to die, but just to, you know, test the theory. Our bottoms got to test a pillow that night, since we couldn't sit down without one after our grandmother got a hold of us.

There's also the belief that whatever you're doing on New Years, that's what you'll spend the year doing. Since I always have to work on New Years, and I work my butt off the rest of the year, I'm putting some credence in this one.

What strange/wacky New Years traditions to you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment