Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Writing Wednesday!--Author Interview with Shea MacLeod

I know you're going--what?!? An author interview?!? You haven't done one of those in... I'd say we'll wait while you figure it out, but I'm on a schedule here, folks. Yes, it's been a very long time. But, my oldest writing/crit partner Shea MacLeod, has a new novel coming out next week. So, of course I had to lasso her into answering a few questions.
 
 
 
 
First things first--Why dragons?

Why not? lol  Dragons are awesome.  They're so big and powerful and have so much wonderful mythology surrounding them.  They can be purely animal or highly intelligent.  Let's face it, everything's better with dragons. ;-)

In the Sunwalker Series, you have a lot of different types of mythology intertwining. Do you plan to do the same with the Dragon Chronicles, or is this going to be strictly dragons?

The Dragon Wars will be pretty strictly dragons.  There's less of the paranormal to this series and more of the sci-fi.  Still, knowing me, anything could happen!  I could wake up tomorrow and decide Ares needs to put in an appearance. lol



Now, this may be slightly controversial (but the best questions usually are): in both the Sunwalker Series and in Dragon Warrior, there's what might possibly be seen as an aversion or distrust to the military and government. Was this intentional, or just a by-product of the genre(s)?

I would say it's a combination of the genre, as well as a by-product of our time.  There is a lot of distrust in government out there.  Not just the American government or the British government, but ALL governments.  Look at the recent news, all the countries where the protests have brought down governments.  It's exciting and scary at the same time.  Will things be better?  Or worse?

As far as the military goes, I have a HUGE respect and appreciation for our military men and women and the sacrifices they make.  In fact, I have many friends and family who have served or are serving in the US military.  I am so proud of them.

Yes, there's definitely distrust of the military in Dragon Wars.  But this is FICTION.  The "military" in this post-apocalyptic world isn't the military we know.  It's not the military that defends us and keeps us safe.  It's a twisted shadow of itself.    

Speaking of post-apoclyoptic novels, thoughts on Mira Grant's amazing NEWSFLESH series?

I downloaded FEED awhile back, but honestly I haven't had a chance to read it.  But I do love a good post-apocalyptic novel.  Right now I'm reading Jack Wallen's My Zombie My.  Love a zombie apocalypse.  

I know you have a number of short stories for various anthologies in the works. Besides those, what's next, more Sunwalkers or more dragons?

That's a tough one, because I'm not sure!  The Indie Eclective will be putting out a holiday themed anthology in November.  I am thinking dragons.  A post-apocalyptic Christmas would be interesting. :-)  

Keeping with the post apoclypotic theme, give us the quick rundown on your survival plan.

That's easy!  First get the hell out of London.  Second, find partners in crime who know how to do things like sail boats.  Next, haul ass to the coast and take a boat back to the US.  Find my family and hide out in Northern Idaho where guns are plenty and living off the grid is the norm.  

And just for fun, a little word association.

Coffee - Intravenous
Gin - Cocktails!
Chocolate - Orgasm
Sex - On the beach
Jericho Barrons - Who?  (Okay, I looked him up and ... NOM!)
Dragons - Everything's better ...

2 comments:

  1. I was one of the lucky ones who got to read Shea's awesome DW book in advance. As a military wife, I took no offense on her take of post-apocalyptic marines. I think the readers will get it, too. Bring on MORE dragons, Shea! And sorry I can't find the e squiggly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the whole governments falling at the hands of the people - way scary, but way exhilarating. It's a big sign that times they are a'changin'...

    ReplyDelete