Monday, October 24, 2011

Media Monday--Once Upon a Time

Last night was the series premiere of Once Upon a Time. I'll admit, I was really looking forward to the show. The promos looked good, the concept seemed fresh, and, well, it's fairy tales in the real world. All the ingredients for a good time.

So, I found myself seriously underwhelmed by the premiere. Was it good? Yes. Was it the amazingness the promos led me to believe? No. And I can't put my finger on what the problem was.

Is the acting good? Yes, fabulously so. Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison both do first rate jobs at bringing their respective characters to life. In Goodwin's case, two characters, since she plays the dual role of Snow White/Mary Margaret. I've seen Goodwin in a few other things, and one of the things I like best about her is her ability to emotionally connect you with a character. The only bit I've seen with Morrison is her small role in the reboot of Star Trek, but she sold it, hands down. Her turn as Emma Swan also tugged at my heartstrings, even as she made me snicker and laugh.

Is the plot good? Again, yes. The missing daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming has to remember who she is in order to make other fairy tale characters remember who they are, and then consequently break the curse that has all of them stuck in the real world and send them back to their normal fairy tale world. Yeah, that's right, all the fairy tale characters, including the Evil Queen who cast the curse, can't remember who they actually are. Still, bits and pieces of their true personalities show through, which helps ground the cuts between our world and their world.

So, I'm not quite sure where the disconnect came from. I'd love to say it's just pilot imperfections, and I might be right. But I'm just not sure. Will I be watching next week? Absolutely. Until then, I'll say I've got my reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment