Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Writing Wednesday!

Before I start this, let me make a disclaimer: no, I am not being paid by Mira Grant to pimp her books. They are, quite simply, that awesome.

I'm in the middle of re-reading Feed. It's always fun to re-read a book, especially if you're like me and you go stalker-tastic and hunt up as much as you can about the book and the characters and whatnot. This time, I'm picking up on lots of little hints and clues about something that was like, "whoa, what the fuck" when it came up in the second book. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm also prepping myself for the scene toward the end where one of the major characters dies. I wept, flat out wept, when this death occurred. It wasn't the fact this person died--ok, yes, that also had a lot to do with it. But really, it was the way Grant wrote the scene. To make it short and not too spoilery, there's a complete and total dissolution of self before the death. There's grief before the actual event, actual grief--in a commercial fiction, zombie book.

Clearly, Grant is something of a rule-breaker. Even more clearly, she rocks.

The last time I discussed these books, in relation to Writing Wednesday, I mentioned how I would feel accomplished if I was ever able to reach a reader in such a way. In the past month, since the re-release of Shades of Gray and the release of the mini-prequel, Hole in the Wall, I've seen my sales go up, I've done an amazing blog tour and made contact with new readers.

My proudest moments have come from the reviews where people told me they laughed and cried and held their breath and felt.

I don't know if I'll ever have the same huge fan base that Grant has accomplished with Feed and Deadline. But when I read reviews like those, I feel like maybe, just maybe, I'll somehow manage to get my writing in the same league.

No comments:

Post a Comment