Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Writing Wednesday--The Art of the Blurb

Does anybody watch Mad Men? Well, obviously not at the moment--neither do I, but hopefully they'll be rectifying that grievance here soon. Anyway, one of the things I've always loved about Mad Men is that they actually show the process of ad-writing. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it looks pretty damn accurate, for the simple reason that there are times when the various characters want to pull their hair out.

Every time I need to write a blurb, I experience their pain.

I don't know what it is. I can write novels, entire novels, and only feel the urge to slit my wrists once, maybe twice. Ten minutes into writing a blurb and I would gladly swallow a fistful of Ambian to get out of the job.

Is it a block? Some sort of ingrained habit about boasting that kicks in? Or just a general inability to say things in a concise manner? I'll admit, that's a bad habit of mine, one I've had to curb in writing but which I can' seem to curb in real life. I couldn't begin to tell you the number of times my friend has told me to "hurry up and get to the point already".

Like I said, I don't know what it is. But I know it's a pain in my ass. And now you know what I'll be doing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment