Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Writing Wednesday--Too Many Pots in the Kitchen?

Alas, this will be a super short blog - because I'm tired and I need a nap before doing the other things I must do before I can go have grown up play time. And wow, that entire thing sounded like it should be coming from a five year old.

Whenever you're cooking, whatever it is you happen to be cooking, there comes a point where you look at your stove and your counters and you think to yourself: "Self, what the hell is going on here? Why on earth do I have so many pots and pans and thingamajiggers?"

Sometimes, writing is like that. I'm currently in the upload/prep phase for the release of Shades of Gray, as well as doing stuff for the blog tour kicking off next week. There's two pots. I'm also editing Shades of Desire, in an effort to have it out by Halloween. Add another pot. I'm also doing my best to squeeze in time on my WIP, Taken, since I love the story and the characters and they're very loud. Add another pot. But then last night, my super secret may very well be my magnum opus started whispering to me last night. Add another pot.

Clearly, I have a lot of pots. So how do I decide which I need to front burner and which I need to back burner? And which needs to marinate a little more?

I'd like to say there's a method, but I'd be lying. With the two WIPs, it's pretty much whichever I'm going to get words on at the time. The things for SoG have to be done, so they're on constant front burner. SoD edits get done once or twice a week, as many chapters as possible, until my eyes start to cross. Hopefully by next week SoG will level out and I can devote more time to the other three, but I'm not counting those chickens until they hatch.

In other words, is it possible I have too many pots in the kitchen? Yes. Is there anything I can do about it but pray for a bigger stove and a sous chef? No. Until I can actually afford a sous chef (aka, personal assistant) I'll be manning the stove solo.

Good thing I come from a restaurant background.

No comments:

Post a Comment