Monday, August 8, 2011

Media Monday--Old Is New Again

Hopefully, you're actually paying attention, and you noticed the new title for Monday--Media Monday. I could, potentially, rattle on and on about music, but after a while it would get more than a little boring. By switching to media at large, it opens up movies and television as topic options. Which works well, since I'm not feeling musically inclined this morning, but I am in a movie mood.

Somehow, and don't ask me how since I actually don't know, my sister's four kids have been entrusted to me this morning. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I planned on doing a lot of work, and four kids all under the age of ten do not exactly do "be quiet" for more than a few seconds. On top of which, I also don't have a lot of kid-friendly food, so they really don't do "be quiet". And yet, I have both the time and the brain function to write this blog. How, you might ask?

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

They've never seen this movie before. Ever. I'm torn between smacking my sister upside the head and thanking her, since the kids are enthralled with it. Granted, some of the humor goes right over their head, but for the most part they're cool. I felt the same way around 20 years ago when I first saw RH: MiT. I didn't get some of the humor, but I got the Robin Hood story, funny parts like ears being thrown, people falling off horses, those kinds of things.

And now that they've seen the movie, they'll remember it. Maybe not the exact name, but the funny parts. And chances are, in two or three decades, they'll be desperate and need something to distract the kids and will remember the movie their aunt showed them one day when they were driving her up the wall. And they'll either put in a DVD or a Blu-Ray or whatever new fangleled bit they're using and breathe a sigh of relief when the kids are entertained.

And so, everything old becomes new again, given enough time--and enough crazy kids in one room.

No comments:

Post a Comment