Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Writing Wednesday

Today, I'm going to take a moment to talk about what I'm working on. It's new and different, at least for me, and may require some explanation.

I'm not a huge fan of old movies, but I did go through a phase where I watched movies from the 40s and 50s. One of the things I did fall in love with was film noir, and all the murder, danger, and sex of the genre. Although some people still don't like to call it a genre, but that's a different topic of discussion.

The idea for a psychic detective isn't new. I actually have something else that I started, but could never really sink my teeth into, that follows along the same lines. However, this new book, still untitled, is more crime fiction than urban fantasy, although it does have some of those elements--otherwise it wouldn't be mine.

There's the world weary, cynical detective with the sharp attitude, biting sarcasm, at least one vice and the mysterious past. The twist? This detective is female. And a little bit psychic.

She's got her long time partner in crime--and other things--, a cadre of slightly seamy friends and acquaintences, and a hot case. A young girl has been kidnapped, the target of a human trafficking circle--or has she?

I'm about a quarter of the way through after only two and a half weeks. I've got a good feeling about this. To share that good feeling, the first five comments will get a sneak peek at Chapter One in all its roughness. Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment