Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Writing Wednesday--Comedy in the Supernatural

First, I'd like to thank the men of Blue Collar Comedy Tour and Katt Williams for inspiring this post. I've been laughing my butt off all week thanks to these folks.

In general, paranormal/supernatural stories are dark, gloomy, eerie and dramatic/melodramatic. Readers expect dark and intense. Writers, in an effort to meet reader expectations, will give them dark and intense, so readers never expect anything more, so writers never write anything more. It's a vicious cycle.

So whenever something light and frothy and humorous comes on the scene, we as readers are both taken aback and intrigued. How dare a vampire queen be shoe crazy--but still, shoes? Hmm. That's different. Maybe I should take a look at this.

As far as I've been able to find, there are no rules anywhere stating that just because your story has a blood sucking, bat shit crazy vampire killing people that you can't have a slapstick scene straight out of the Three Stooges. Heck, I actually think have the two in the same book really drives home the brutality of a kill. And besides, does anybody really want to read a book so serious it can't take a joke, even one at itself?

I don't. I want to be able to laugh and cry and be worried about people and be super freakin' happy when the bad guy gets it in the end. I want a book that runs the full range of emotions, because God knows I run the full range, sometimes twice, in one day.

And quite frankly, there's nothing better than a good joke? Did you hear the one about the priest, the nun, and the confessional? Well, you're not hearing it from me, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment