Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Writing Wednesday--Author Interview with Belinda Boring

It's Writing Wednesday! Since there's no way I can talk about writing every week, I'll also be doing interviews. This week, I've got Belinda Boring, also known as The Bookish Snob, here talking about her debut work, Without Mercy, writing playlists, and what NOT to do when you meet a hot man.
 
 
                                                                   Belinda Boring
 
 
You're well known in the blogging community for your awesome reviews of swoon worthy books. Why the jump to "the other side"?
 
Well, someone told me you guys gave away free ice cream and there'd be semi naked men here with killer abs! Hahaha see you can take a writer out of a reader, but you can't take The Bookish Snob out of a writer. LOL I actually started writing before I started blogging. I wrote a REALLY short story on... man, if I told you I would have to kill you. Let's just say, it got me really excited to explore and I decided to try write a fan fiction of one of my favorite paranormal romance series, Christine Feehan's Dark Carpathians. I loved it and tinkered around but it wasn't until the blessed meeting of my bestfriend Lacey, that I started thinking seriously. She encouraged me to take part in the National Novel Writing Month challenge last year (50,000 words in a month) and cheerleadered me the entire time. Writing is so addicting when you're focused and full charged! I completed the challenge and after that, I began writing. Every dream became a story idea and neatly filed away on my computer. Of course, being The Bookish Snob has put me in the path of some AMAZING authors who have encouraged, listened and offered a ton of support. Each book I read, I think "Hmmm I can do this. I want to see my name on a book I wrote." So here I am... on the other side. Actually come to think of it, I don't think I jumped... I was lovingly pushed LOL Thanks Lacey!

Without Mercy is your first release. Give us a quick rundown of what it's about. Any sequels in the works?
 
                                                                     Without Mercy

Without Mercy actually came from this gut wrenching nightmare I had where I woke up sobbing. I remembered just a few images but the emotion was so vivid that it clung to me all day. My bestfriend told me "Belinda, you need to write it out" and I began that day. I posted the beginning on my blog and people really enjoyed it and I started thinking, Hmmm I should write a little more. I sat down one Saturday, turned up "Running Up That Hill" by Placebo and finished it.
 
The story is about Darcy, a young werewolf who is out running errands with her mate-to-be's sister. Mated to the Alpha of her pack, Mason, she'd had alot of arguments about safety and the need for constant protection. He finally relented and Darcy soon learns to regret it when they're stopped by someone they thought they could trust. Things soon get out of control and when the situation turns deadly, Darcy finds herself go from helpless prey to lethal predator but it has consequences. Without the help of her mate, she runs the real risk of losing herself and it takes an act of complete trust to save her. Lots of good emotions!
 
There's definitely sequels in the works! In fact, Mason and Darcy can't stop talking. I'm going to try something a little different and turn it into a series of Mystic Wolves novelettes. The next one I have planned is called Cherished, and it focuses heavily on Mason and Darcy and how they deal with the aftermath from Without Mercy. You get a better look at their relationship and yep, there will be SWOON! I'm hoping to release each installment every 4-6 weeks so I'm really excited.
 
What else are you working on right now?
 
I'm working on two things at the moment. Like I mentioned above, I'm working on Cherished: A Mystic Wolves Novelette but I'm also working on a novel length book called Broken Promises. I am absolutely in LOVE with the whole storyline for this!  It came about from a dream I had (seeing a pattern?) and when I woke up, I sat down and outlined a 3 book urban fantasy series. Here, let me share the blurb I have for it because it sums the book up perfectly!
 
All Bree wanted to do was spend her Friday night with the man she loved and adored. Planning to watch a movie together, she never would've believed leaving her home would result in her relationship with Quinn being tested beyond its limits. Unbeknownst to her, the Fae have been organizing to invade Earth, and their devious plans are culminating now, colliding with Bree's very existance. Using a powerful glamour, the Fae trigger each person's violent tendencies, turning the streets into a battleground and strangers against each other.

In a crushing blow, Quinn becomes affected and Bree finds herself battling to save her lover from himself as he stalks her relentlessly, taunting her at every turn. In a game of cat and mouse, Quinn can't decide whether he wants to seduce her or kill her, breaking her heart further with each encounter. But fighting for her love isn't her only worry. As the battle ensues, Bree discovers a startling truth about her own heritage that she must come to terms with. Determined to bring balance back, she teams up with others to drive the Fae back across the veil, only to find herself in way over her head. Bree has no other choice but to fight, leading her to a confrontation that will change her world forever - and threaten to leave her with broken promises.
 
I get giddy whenever I think or talk about Broken Promises. It's definitely a piece of me and I can't wait to share it with everyone. Bree is this amazing woman who faces blow after blow but still she gets back up, dusts herself off and keeps going. I love the transformation she has planned for herself (see how I didn't say me, she kinda has a mind of her own LOL) and she's definitely the kind of heroine I love to read. And as for Quinn, he makes me SWOON and melt! He's the seductively snarky guy and I'll admit, there's a little Damon Salvatore in him - you know that arrogant swagger we all love. He's not sure what he wants to do with Bree... does he want to kill her (yikes) or does he want to grab her, press her up against the wall and ravish her until she's breathless? There's a lot of great moments between them and I could go on and on. Needless to say, it's ALOT of fun writing it and I hope everyone loves it as much as I do!
 
Earlier this week I talked about writing soundtracks. Do you have one, and if so, tell us about it.
 
I actually do! I'm an emotional person - whether its reading or writing and I found the best way for me to get into the emotion of the scene is to find the perfect song and put it on repeat. I have playlists for everything I write but I'll share a few with you:
 
For Without Mercy - "Running Up That Hill" by Placebo
Cherished - "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars and "In My Head" by Jason Derulo
Broken Promises - "Russian Roulette" by Rihanna (it's the theme song and what I'll write the final scene to) "Give Me A Sign" by Breaking Benjamin, "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum and "Beautiful Ending" by Barlowgirl
 
Any crazy stories you'd like to share with readers?

Hmmm, crazy stories... my mind's drawing a blank! Something I can share that won't get me into trouble. Okay here's a story that was HIGHLY embarassing but those who know me say "OMGSH that it so Belinda!"
 
I recently went to a Romance Reader event and as well as meeting authors I love, sexy as heck romance cover model Jimmy Thomas was going to be there (look him up... trust me, you'll thank me) and we could get a photo with him. I was so excited and I joked around with people that I would ask for a "hump shot" to put on my blog. Finally, the event arrives and I'm in a complete swoon. For an hour, I sat and watched a erotic book cover photo shoot and I could barely look Jimmy in the eye. I am sooo uber shy (I know, hard to believe) and I'll admit, I was a little squee about meeting him. So, it's time for photos... I put my big girl panties on, take a deep breath and say "Jimmy, can I have a hump shot!" Total silence and a look  of confusion. I died! Funny thing about being me is that sometimes... okay most times, only I know what I mean! Call it a consequences of being an Australian living in the US. So I settle for a delicious hug on the couch, gird my embarassed loins and make a quick exit. Later on, I'm chatting with other people at the event and we're giggling about Jimmy and how amazing he was. I share my "hump shot" fiasco and DIE a little further with humilation. Everyone laughs and proceeds to tell me that they thought I had asked him for a "deviant" pose, something of the four legged variety and I am ready to crawl under a rock and die! For the rest of the night, I was "the hump girl". Lesson learned? Make sure you use words EVERYONE is familar with. Oh and don't ask a hot cover model to "doggy" *blushes and cringe* Does that qualify as crazy?
 
Thank you so much LM for having me over today! You're my first inteview so hopefully I did okay *smiles*



And thanks to you Belinda for stopping by. Next week, look for an interview with Shea MacLeod, author of Kissed by Darkness!

3 comments:

  1. Wooohoo! Thank you so much for having me today L.M. This was a lot of fun... definitely exciting to be on the other side of the interview questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda how very droll and yet at the same time so very informative too! Thanks ladies for the lovely post, it was a pleasure to stop by and read Belinda's first time in the "hot seat" that she has put so many authors in in the past. Nice to see that it can be fun for The Bookish Snob to have her brain picked as it is for her to interview others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda, Belinda, Belinda...You really need to put out a full length novel. I am simply dying for more!!!

    ReplyDelete