Monday, July 11, 2011

Music Monday--Writing Soundtrack

Music Monday! Woohoo! The biggest thing going on with my iPod this week has been Beyonce's "Best Thing I Never Had", which I'd love to dedicate to someone, but manners prevent me from saying their name. Still, I believe he knows who he is.

Anyway, I'd like to take a few moments to talk about writing soundtracks. You have some people who swear by silence and some who swear by music. I fall somewhere in the middle, since I can work in either condition depending on the circumstances of what I'm writing. I also tend to write to movies and/or movie commentary. But I think we can all agree I'm odd, which is fine with me.

Some writers have individual soundtracks for each work they write. To them, I say, "You're amazing." I'd be willing to bet they're plotters as opposed to pansters, which I'm definitely not getting into. I usually don't know what song I'm going to play until I'm spinning the little wheel on my iPod, so knowing what music you want to listen to for an entire book is insane--in a good way.

Some writers have certain genres they listen to, all depending on the work and how it's progressing. Someone--and again, not naming names--likes to say that if they get to Christmas music, it's very bad. Me, one of the easiest ways to get my blood going is to pop in Mariah's "All I Want For Christmas"--does the trick like nothing else. I just want to bop around and throw snow in the air.

For myself, I just listen to whatever. I have a huge playlist with everything possible on it, from the aforementioned Mariah Carey to Miranda Lambert to 3 Doors Down to Annie Lenox with a little Ke$ha and Miley Cyrus thrown in. Anytime I download a new song that I love, I throw it on the list, and just juggle things around. Does it get the juices going? Most times. If it doesn't, that's when I resort to DVD's and commentaries.

In the end, I don't think it's what you listen to that gets you writing. It's just the writing itself. Although dancing around to "Broken Glass" sure as hell doesn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment