Friday, July 15, 2011

Food Friday

Food! Always exciting. I did have a mind to share a recipe I created this week, but I'm sitting here drinking sweet tea and realizing talking about that is so much more fascinating right now.

I've heard sweet tea called the house wine of the South, and I'd have to agree one hundred and twenty five percent. Or some other big number. And when I say sweet tea, I mean pre-sweetened. I go into a restaurant and they say all they have is unsweet, I'm drinking something else. Because no matter how much sugar or sugar substitute you put in your glass, it will still never have the same taste as tea sweetened right after brewing.

Now, you'll hear a lot of talk about the lemon vs no-lemon debate. Amongst my friends and family, this isn't actually a debate--lemon does not exist for the purpose of tea. Even my grandmother, who was a full diabetic and drank unsweet tea with Sweet 'N Low my entire life, never put a lemon near her tea. Needless to say, bottled Snapple or NesTea does not sit well with us.

Which leads in to the debate on brands of tea. Again, really no debate. I was raised on Lipton and will most likely drink Lipton until the day I'm no longer to drink anything, period. Doesn't matter if it's normal brew or cold brew, as long as it's Lipton. Do not bring any of that powdered mix of any variety near me. Unless I brewed it, it's not tea.

Of course, this is all personal opinion. You'll meet people who insist that tea is not tea unless it's served steaming hot with milk and lemon and honey. You'll meet people who swear by NesTea and who think flavored teas from Snapple are the best thing since the wheel. Now, I'm not going to say these people are wrong. I'd be more inclined to use the term misguided--but that's me.

I still don't understand the people who don't drink tea at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment