Thursday, July 7, 2011

Food Friday!

Okay folks, it's Friday. Which means we're talking food! Good, right? And today we're talking potato salad. Which is excellent.

Everybody has some food that, to them, is equal to Linus's security blanket. For me, it's potato salad. I'll never forget the Christmas I had to work a double--I raced home between shifts, eager for potato salad. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. It had all been consumed. Needless to say, my rage was monumental.

I couldn't tell you why I have such a deep love for potato salad. By no means was it the only dish served on the table. And growing up down South and attending a church where we had probably a good half dozen or so "dinner on the grounds" a year, I had exposure to more than one kind. Still, there's nothing like the taste of my mama's potato salad. Nothing, not even my own, compares.

There's something about that first taste. Not too mustardy, not to mayoy, unsalted. It's perfect either still warm or chilled. No matter where I am, how bad the day was, one bite and the world rights itself. It is, without doubt, as comforting as any hug from my mother or grandparents, just the feeling of home that can't be explained.

Bet you didn't think you'd get all that from potato salad, did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment