Friday, July 1, 2011

Food Friday!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with me, I'm from North Florida, or where some people like to call the last bit of the South before you head to Miami. And yes, it's true. About halfway down the state--and its a LOOOONG drive--the culture changes completely. But I digress.

I grew up eating things like refried biscuits, collard greens, fried chicken, and sweet potato pie. Like all teenagers, I went through a period where I turned my nose up at some of those offerings. What can I say, teenagers are special. But the older I've gotten (and don't ask me, because I'm not answering), the more I've returned to my food roots. Although I may do some tweaking here and there.

A lot of what I cook has a base in traditional Southern cooking. And then I usually take and flip things to fit my tastes. I don't remember where I first heard about sweet tea and chicken, but everybody should thank this genius. I like some spicy with my chicken, though, so this is a little different. Amounts are guesses, because I only use a measuring cup if I can't get out of it.

Chicken, thawed and washed (I prefer boneless and skinless, but that's me. I'm weird about bones)--I'd say 2 or 3 pieces a person
1/2 gallon of sweet tea, either your own or premade--do NOT get something with lemon in it, you'll pervert the flavor
4 eggs
3 cups or so of flour
Tony Catchetori's Seasoning (I may have totally butchered the name, but you should get the point--if you can find it, go with Zatarin's)

Soak the chicken in the sweet tea for at least an hour. The longer it soaks, the more flavor you get into the chicken. For optimum results, over night is best, but sometimes you get a yen for chicken. Or at least I do.

Beat the eggs until smooth. Sprinkle in around 2 tablespoons of seasoning.

Add another quarter cup of seasoning to your flour.

The decision to double batter or not is all up to you. Some like it super crispy, some don't. Either way, drain the chicken, dip into your egg batter, then dredge in your seasoned flour. Repeat if desired.

Fry until thoroughly cooked. Or really dark. Whatever works for you. I'd suggest draining on a wire rack if you can--something about paper towels makes the chicken soggy if you're not careful.

Enjoy!

Next week, I'll be talking about potato salad. Because it is my one true weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment